You are here: Home / Caregiving Information / FAQ / General Information FAQs / FAQs #11

FAQs #11

Provided here are all currently available questions with answers. You may return to your select point of entry or continue here, reading along for general information gathering. The following is not intended as a substitute for qualified legal, financial, psychological, or tax counseling. Please consult your attorney, financial consultant, or tax advisor as applicable.
Questions and Answers

Q11. If my elderly parent(s) doesn't move in with me, where would they live?

A11. Nancy Driskill:
>There are several options for an elderly individual who is making a housing change. The best choice for your parent would depend on what kind of services are needed, the status of health care needs, the financial situation, and of course, your parent's personal preferences.<cite>

Retirement Communities or Senior Apartment Residences are generally for independent seniors and offer some combination of services which may include transportation, housekeeping, and congregate meals as well as social opportunities.

Assisted Living offers additional help for those with greater needs, especially for help with bathing, dressing, and medication administration. Some facilities offer a combination of independent and assisted living.

Smaller assisted living homes are often called board and care homes. These are usually homes in a residential neighborhood which house 2-8 persons in a family-like setting. If your parents are in their own home where they are comfortable and familiar and where there is an informal network of help already in place, sometimes hiring a bit of extra assistance is "just the ticket." Home health care agencies and private home care are both options, as well as other services that provide home delivered meals, transportation services, chore and errand services, housekeeping and personal security systems. (i.e. Lifeline).

In any of the above situations short term medical needs may be served by home health agencies or privately home care. There is always an answer.....Asking the best questions will help find the best solution. An elder care advisor or geriatric care manager or the local Office on Aging (970-498-6807)can be useful in this process.

Donna Burrill:
>It's not clear from your question whether there's any reason your parent(s) can't live on their own now or whether you're looking down the road to the day when this is likely. If it's the latter, try to learn as much about their financial situation as you can: what are their predictable sources and amounts of income, any debts, other income-producing assets (stocks, bonds, CO's, ect) and their life and health insurance policies. This is usually no easy task, as older members of our society tend to be very tight-lipped about their finances.<cite>

So, being diplomatic and demonstrating a great deal of respect for their privacy is important, The purpose of obtaining this understanding is so you can try to match their resource to their living options. This is financial planning. Typically, children find that before a parent(s) becomes physically or mentally limited and unable to live safely alone that the acquisition of long-term care insurance is an affordable and easy way to guarantee a preferred living arrangement, whatever that might be: home healthcare, adult daycare, assisted living or nursing home.

Go Back

Member Showcase

Noreen Flood
Daily Money Solutions
1437 North Denver Avenue, #234
Loveland, CO 80538

Financial/Insurance Services : Money Management

Email Noreen Flood